Linux crypto killer apllication

Christoph Anton Mitterer christoph.anton.mitterer at physik.uni-muenchen.de
Wed May 14 23:36:48 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 22:58 +0200, gabrix wrote:
> Mine is just a suggestion to improve our dear gnupg.
> What is missing in linux is a killer crypt application .
> I recently used two windows application pgp and bestcrypt . And they both
> have , disk encryption , mail encryption , key generator up to 8192 length ,
> text encryption , zip encryption .
gpg is not intended and for disk encryption, which requires special
techniques (good IV initialisation method etc).
Current state of the art is probably XTS which is supported by recent
linux kernles (sind 2.6.24 IIRC) and dmcrypt.

gpg can create keys with a key size greater than 4096 but you have to
patch it manually.

I think it would be nice if the expert mode allows to create keys of any
length (at least for RSA).

Best wishes,
Chris.