cannot change passphrase entered via enigmail on new system

Holger Schmalle h.schmalle at web.de
Wed May 14 23:09:09 CEST 2008

Hello,

in 2005 I created a private key using enigmail (I know now this was a big mistake :-( ). Recently I changed my complete system (from Gentoo to Ubuntu ...). The consequence is, that I cannot enter the correct passphrase. Neither with enigmail, nor on the command line. I suppose this is a problem with the character encoding.
I dont think that I can manage it to restore my old system with all the stuff like char encoding, enigmail version ...

I have a lot of encrypted e-Mails. Is there any chance for me to read them ever again???

My passphrase contains chars like "§{[(#".

Best regards,
Holger