old default options file

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Thu May 15 00:32:48 CEST 2008

gabrix wrote:
> Hi list ,
> after kgpg installation whatever gpg command i launch i get this error:
>
> gabrix at mail:~$ gpg --version
> gpg: NOTE: old default options file `/home/gabrix/.gnupg/options' ignored
>
> I know it's not a major problem but anyway the error is annoying , to what
> option does it refer ?

The GnuPG options file /used to be/ named just 'options' and lives in
~/.gnupg.

Current version of GnuPG expect configuration options to be in gpg.conf

The error is because GnuPG finds a file in its home directory named options.

Renaming 'options' to 'gpg.conf' will correct this and eliminate the
error. ( mv ~/.gnupg/{options,gpg.conf} ). But don't stop with a simple
rename, open gpg.conf and make sure those are options you really want.

I notice your return address is 'root'. This is usually not a very good
idea. It suggests that you're using the superuser account as your normal
user account.  If you're doing this, then please create a normal user
account as soon as possible and start using that.  It'll save you a ton
of grief in the long run.

--
John P. Clizbe                   Inet: JPClizbe (a) tx DAWT DAHT con
Ginger Bear Networks             hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net