Linux crypto killer apllication

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu May 15 00:52:02 CEST 2008

Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> That's not a question of practical cases,..

Sure it is.

Adding features "just because it's nice" is a pretty shoddy way to do
engineering.  Changes need to be driven by articulated needs.

> Every now and then we get posts where people ask for this... right?

We also get posts where people ask "is there any way for me to get
access to my files now that I've forgotten my passphrase?"  Should we
change GnuPG to accommodate their wishes?

Just because people ask for something is not a compelling reason to give
it to them.

I see no reason to add "features" to GnuPG that have no connection to
any real-world need.  Changing the largest keysize, even in expert mode,
has no connection to any real-world need I've ever heard anyone
articulate, and so I'm pretty hostile to the idea.