Removing all installed versions of GNUPG

giangios giangios at gmail.com
Tue May 27 10:03:47 CEST 2008

Robert J. Hansen-3 wrote:

> giangios wrote:
>> How can I remove all the installations?
>
> Depends a lot on your distribution of Linux.
>
>> Shall I go to the build directory and type 'make uninstall'?
>
> That'll work for at least one of them.
>
> It would be more helpful if you were to let us know which distribution
> you're using, and where the gpg executables are located on your system.
>
> Removing GnuPG entirely from a Linux system is not recommended and is
> probably a bad idea.  Many distributions use GnuPG to digitally sign
> their packages.  Without GnuPG, you have no way of knowing if your
> packages are authentic.

I have found out in the documentation this:

6.22) I just compiled GnuPG from source on my GNU/Linux RPM-based system and
it's not working. Why?
Many GNU/Linux distributions that are RPM-based will install a version of
GnuPG as part of its standard installation, placing the binaries in the
/usr/bin directory. Later, compiling and installing GnuPG from source other
than from a source RPM won't normally overwrite these files, as the default
location for placement of GnuPG binaries is in /usr/local/bin unless the
'--prefix' switch is used during compile to specify an alternate location.
Since the /usr/bin directory more than likely appears in your path before
/usr/local/bin, the older RPM-version binaries will continue to be used when
called since they were not replaced.

To resolve this, uninstall the RPM-based version with 'rpm -e gnupg' before
installing the binaries compiled from source. If dependency errors are
displayed when attempting to uninstall the RPM (such as when Red Hat's
up2date is also installed, which uses GnuPG), uninstall the RPM with 'rpm -e
gnupg --nodeps' to force the uninstall. Any dependent files should be
automatically replaced during the install of the compiled version. If the
default /usr/local/bin directory is used, some packages such as SuSE's Yast
Online Update may need to be configured to look for GnuPG binaries in the
/usr/local/bin directory, or symlinks can be created in /usr/bin that point
to the binaries located in /usr/local/bin.

I have unistalled the 'preinstalled' gnupg and reinstalled the last version.

When I run the command: rpm -q gnupg, now doesn't show any gnupg
installation, but I can use it.

Now I need to point the distribution packages (CENTOS 4.2) to use the last
(and unique) installed GNUPG.

If the default /usr/local/bin directory is used, some packages such as
SuSE's Yast Online Update may need to be configured to look for GnuPG
binaries in the /usr/local/bin directory, or symlinks can be created in
/usr/bin that point to the binaries located in /usr/local/bin.

What shall I do? I am not very familiar to configure servers. :-/