Supported Formats

John Clizbe John at Mozilla-Enigmail.org
Thu Nov 20 17:27:19 CET 2008

Carlos Williams wrote:
> I had someone at a co-location (different network / domain) install a
> Verisign Class 1 Digital certification. I was able to share the
> Verisign cert with another user who has the same kind of class 1
> certificate and we can now send encrypted and signed email back to
> each other fine. My question is now I would like to take my
> certificate and send it to any of the users with class 1 Verisign
> cert. The problem is when I export my GnuPG public key and send it to
> him, it does not recognize it at all. It does not like the .asc file
> extension. How can exchange keys with anyone using a class 1
> certificate in Outlook 2003 and or Mozilla Thunderbird. I am guessing
> neither of the machines configured are unable to read the .asc format
> I am exporting my public key as.
>
> Any advice.

Short answer: You can't.

Digital Certificates are X.509. You are using OpenPGP.

X.509 is the native encryption builtin to web browsers and email apps such as
Outlook and Thunderbird (S/MIME).

OpenPGP and X.509 are similar in some respects but mostly incompatible. You
cannot mix X.509 and OpenPGP in the same mail message. Nor can each make use of
the other's keys/certificates.

Regards.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or