Removing UIDs?

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Tue Sep 16 10:17:25 CEST 2008

Laurent Jumet wrote the following on 9/16/08 3:19 AM:
> Hello Robert !
>
> "Robert J. Hansen" <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:
>
>>> Once the key has been updated on the servers, is there any reason to
>>> don't remove it from the key? Just to "clean" it... now I think about
>>> it, probably it won't decrease too much the key's size...
>
>> "Futility" comes to mind.  If you delete the UID, as soon as you sync
>> with a keyserver, the deleted UID will come back.
>
>     Are you sure?
>     In my opinion, if you update your key to a keyserver, deleted UID's will not appear any more.

In my unlearned opinion, you can only add data to a keyserver, not
remove anything from it.

You can delete something from you key, upload the updated keyblock to a
keyserver; the latter will sync with other keyservers where your key has
retained all its original data, which will be restored.

If you revoke an UID in your key, and upload the updated keyblock to a
keyserver, the revocation is considered a data addition (which it is).
The revoked UID will show as revoked in all syncing keyservers.

But then, that's my unlearned opinion.

Take care,
Charly
MacOS 10.5.5 - MacBook Intel C2Duo - GnuPG 1.4.9 - GPG2 2.0.9 -
Thunderbird 2.0.0.16- Enigmail 0.96a (20080706-1537)- Apple's
Mail+GPGMail d53