Removing UIDs?

Laurent Jumet laurent.jumet at skynet.be
Tue Sep 16 10:23:25 CEST 2008

Hello Charly !

Charly Avital <shavital at mac.com> wrote:

> In my unlearned opinion, you can only add data to a keyserver, not
> remove anything from it.

> If you revoke an UID in your key, and upload the updated keyblock to a
> keyserver, the revocation is considered a data addition (which it is).
> The revoked UID will show as revoked in all syncing keyservers.

    You are right.
    Here's the explanation from 1.4.9:

deluid:   Delete a user id.   Note  that  it  is  not  possible  to retract
a  user  id, once it has been send to the public (i.e. to a
keyserver).   In  that  case  you  better  use revuid.

    So, what's to be done is Revoque all obsolete UIDs, and use Primary in the EditKeyMenu to flag the current user ID as the primary one.
    And after maintenance, upload the key to a KeyServer.

--
Laurent Jumet
      KeyID: 0xCFAF704C