Export secret key from WinXP (GnuPG) 1.4.7 to AIX PGP Version 6.5.8 gives Bad Pass Phrase

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Sep 17 00:18:11 CEST 2008

rlively wrote:
> One of our contacts uses this key:

This is a PGP 2.6 key, unfortunately.

> Even though they key specifies Cipher: IDEA, are you saying that we
> should be able to encrypt to this public key just fine with the
> latest veresion of GnuPG, unless that contact is stuck using legacy
> PGP 2.x?

He is not.  There are two different internet standards for PGP.  The
first one, called RFC1991, dates to the early '90s.  The second one,
called RFC4880, was only officially released a few months ago.  The two
standards are not interchangeable, and RFC4880 brings many more
capabilities to the table.

GnuPG is an RFC4880 application.  PGP 2.6 is RFC1991.  The two are
generally incompatible.  (I've heard talk of people figuring out how to
make them work together, but I've generally been of the opinion they're
talking about a lot of baling wire and bubblegum.)

> What is the danger of downloading the latest source and compiling it
> under AIX?

No greater than downloading and compiling any other FOSS project.

> How can I find a group of people that may have done this in the past
> so we can get some guidance?

Ask here.  :)  I imagine in short order you'll get some answers from
people using GnuPG on AIX.