Export secret key from WinXP (GnuPG) 1.4.7 to AIX PGP Version 6.5.8 gives Bad Pass Phrase

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Sep 17 17:51:28 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 06:42:10AM -0700, rlively wrote:

> I need help reconciling the two responses below.  I am still going to get a
> test file encrypted/decrypted using GPG 1.4.7 with the owner of said key
> just to see how it goes, but that might take a while, and I need to improve
> my general understanding of this entire process and all of the software
> involved anyway.

We're both right with regards to the facts of PGP 2.x.  With all due
respect to Robert, I'm right with regards to whether it'll work.

The situation, underneath it all is this: You have a modern OpenPGP
program.  Your correspondent has, or can be made to have, a modern
OpenPGP program.  Your correspondent's key is a V3 key (the so-called
"PGP 2.x" key).

OpenPGP does just fine with V3 keys.  The spec says:

   OpenPGP implementations MUST create keys with version 4 format.  V3
   keys are deprecated; an implementation MUST NOT generate a V3 key,
   but MAY accept it.

Both GPG and PGP follow that MAY, and happily accept V3 keys.  Since
you are the one doing the encrypting, and you are running GPG, and
your GPG does not have IDEA, you will encrypt using 3DES.  Your
correspondent, receiving this message will be able to decrypt it as
3DES is required by all OpenPGP programs.

As I said before, try it.

David