Changing preferences

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Sep 24 00:22:04 CEST 2008

On Sep 23, 2008, at 5:36 PM, Faramir wrote:

> Cifrado: AES256, AES192, AES, CAST5, 3DES
> Resumen: SHA1, SHA256, RIPEMD160
> Compresión: ZLIB, BZIP2, ZIP, Sin comprimir
> Características: MDC, Sevidor de claves no-modificar
>
>  So I figure the default most preferred encryption algo will be
> AES256,
> not 3DES... or am I wrong?

Nope, you're right.  Your most preferred encryption algorithm is
AES256, followed, by AES192, etc.

As to what algorithm would be used when someone encrypts a message to
you depends on who else is a recipient.  Let's say the message was
encrypted to me (key 99242560) and you.  My preferences are (and I
really need to update these) AES, TWOFISH, CAST5, BLOWFISH, 3DES.  The
only algorithms that are even possible here (because we both have
them) are AES, CAST5, and 3DES.  AES is clearly the most popular of
these three, so AES will be chosen.  Between you and a different
person might give a different result.

Most keys generated with GnuPG in the past few years have the same
preferences as you (they're the defaults now).  For a message going to
those keys, AES256 will be chosen, as everyone favors it.

David