Changing preferences

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Sep 24 05:22:35 CEST 2008

Faramir wrote:
> didn't include Blowfish because I was told it is not supported by PGP

PGP can read Blowfish traffic.  It won't generate Blowfish traffic, but
that's a separate issue.

> [Schneier] says people should move to Twofish.

No, Schneier has recommended people abandon Twofish and move to AES.

A lot of people are still quite fond of Blowfish.  It's a beautifully
simple algorithm, quite elegant, and well-studied.  I have a personal
liking for it just for its simplicity.

The all time best advice re: preferences is "unless you know what you're
doing and why, stick with the defaults."  The defaults work just fine
for the overwhelming majority of users.  Maybe one user in a thousand
will ever need to tweak them.

> What is better, to use S1 S2 S2 codes, or the names? I figure using the
> codes would save a bit of space, and since I don't have to keep those
> codes in my memory, it is not a problem for me to enter them that way.

Names.  Definitely names.  Much less chance of screwing them up and
accidentally doing something like preferring SHA1 over SHA256.