pcscd, FC8, enigmail and plain gpg

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Sep 25 12:31:02 CEST 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:25, alexander.janssen at gmail.com said:

> I migrated from Debian to Fedora Core 8 a while ago. I'm generally using
> my OpenGPG Smartcard only with Thunderbird/Enigmail, but any now and
> then I want to use plain ol' gpg.

[Unless you have other needs for your smartcard reader, I suggest to
 remove pcscd and use gpg's internal CCID driver.]

> [alex at castor ~]$ ps -ef |grep pcsc
> root      2552     1  0 17:10 ?        00:00:00 pcscd
> alex      5340     1  0 18:46 ?        00:00:00 pcsc-wrapper -- 1
> libpcsclite.so.1

pcsc-wrapper is part of gnupg usd to overcome a problem between
libpcsc's use of Pthreads and Scdaemon's use of PTh.

It seems that something is wrong with your setup: Do you use --no-agent
with gpg?  If so, gpg tries to access the smartcard directly instead of
diverting smartcard access to gpg-agent/scdaemon.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--
Linux-Kongress 2008 + Hamburg + October 7-10 + www.linux-kongress.org