Keyserver doesn't honour removed signatures

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Apr 16 19:12:39 CEST 2009

Quoting David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com>:
> Not exactly.  Usenet has delete :)

I think it's also worth considering just how rare USENET is nowadays.
A lot of places that used to host full USENET feeds are gone.  I
suspect that most people's access to USENET is done through Google
Groups or similar services.

 From what I understand, the two major concerns which led to USENET
being dropped in a lot of places are (a) bandwidth concerns and (b)
the possibility of lawsuits.

(Not just child porn, either: some things that are clearly legal in
one jurisdiction are grossly illegal in another.  E.g., in the United
States the First Amendment protects your right to deny the Holocaust,
but in Germany it's a serious crime.)

Add it all together and USENET was at best a network-choking bandwidth
hog, and at worst was a lawsuit waiting to happen.  And thus, many
full USENET feeds fell off the face of the net.

It might be worth wondering whether the same could happen to the
keyserver network.  It seems less likely, due to how difficult it
would be to share large files that way -- but the possibility should
be considered.