keyservers

John Clizbe John at Mozilla-Enigmail.org
Mon Apr 20 22:04:53 CEST 2009

Alexander Ulrich wrote:
> Hashimoto <xano.tte at gmail.com> writes:
>>    The key posted in one keyserver will be synchronized with all of the
>>    other
>
> Yes.

Normally within a hour or two.  The SKS keyservers use a very fast and
efficient protocol to exchange updates. Updates are emailed to other
keyservers running different software packages as well as the older PKS
servers to try and keep them updated.

>> ?  And how to find a keyserver to store my publickey ?
>
> See for example http://www.sks-keyservers.net for a list of
> synchronizing keyservers or use the pool
> x-hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net.

The pool is best, hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net

Good SKS status pages are:
    http://www.pramberger.at/peter/services/keyserver/network/
and
    http://sks-keyservers.net/status/

>>    And my last question is how to find for a specific key ?
>
> You can (a) point your web browser to one of the keyserver addresses,
> because (almost) all keyservers feature a web search form, (b) use the
> GnuPG command line client with "gpg --search-keys" or (c) use the search
> functionality provided by MUA plugins such as Enigmail (Mozilla
> Thunderbird).

Keyserver web pages listen on port 11371, so one needs to add the port
to the browser URL:

    http://keyserver.gingerbear.net:11371/

About 1/2 of the SKS servers also listen on port 80, the default http
port, for users behind restrictive firewalls.  There's even an email
protocol for user behind REALLY restrictive firewalls. Peter
Pramberger's status page indicates which servers have these capabilities.

There are presently eight or so servers supporting IPv6. That should
improve with time.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or