GNUPG CLI endless loop when using --batch and --decrypt on detached signature file

Harakiri harakiri_23 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 12:09:12 CEST 2009

--- On Thu, 4/23/09, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:

> From: Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>
> Subject: Re: GNUPG CLI endless loop when using --batch and --decrypt on detached signature file
> To: harakiri_23 at yahoo.com
> Cc: gnupg-users at gnupg.org
> Date: Thursday, April 23, 2009, 4:05 AM
> > i thought the option --notty is the same as stdin
> /dev/null ?
>
> No, it is not the same.  Did you connect stdin to /dev/null
> ?

Ok, i found a similar issue in gnupg here from this user:

https://bugs.g10code.com/gnupg/issue940

its exactly as described - adding "< /dev/null" to the end solves the problem.

But as the user suggested why does --batch does not take care of it? I saw that it is "expected from unix" programs to behave like this - but what about windows? there is no dev null piping - at least there should be an option because users expect that --batch will work automatically.

Furthermore there is still the issue that even with /dev/null status-fd does not tell me its a detached signature file it just asks for a public key first.

Thanks