Just a thought

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Apr 25 23:59:31 CEST 2009

Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> How does Thunderbird/Enigmail handle bcc'd recipients?

Someone else may have a more definitive answer, but I would not
recommend using bcc'd recipients with Enigmail.  Enigmail is constrained
by the Thunderbird architecture, which puts some severe limits on what
Enigmail is allowed to do.  As long as everything is done in one pass
and it's a simple transform of the data, Thunderbird is quite happy to
work with plugins; but as soon as plugins want to do complex things,
Thunderbird says "no."

E.g., with PGP/MIME messages, Enigmail has to go through some
contortions since it doesn't know before the message is composed which
hash algorithm will be used, meaning that it can't craft the PGP/MIME
headers.  So instead, a dummy message is sent (one which goes precisely
nowhere), which Enigmail then reads to see the algorithm used, which is
then used to construct a proper PGP/MIME header for the real message.
It's a pretty repulsive hack, but it's the only game in town.

Please note that I do not follow the Enigmail source tree, so any and/or
all of this may be incorrect.  It is correct as far as I know, though.

This discussion should probably be moved to the Enigmail list.