Just a thought

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Apr 25 23:50:56 CEST 2009

On Saturday 25 April 2009, John Clizbe wrote:
> david wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Late here in Cyprus, in Thunderbird, OpenPGP I can sign and encrypt
> > - but say I cc'd to a few people - because if those people are in
> > my key ring will it encrypt for each?
>
> If a valid key can be located for each recipient, the message will be
> encrypted to all. If a single recipient cannot be matched with a key,
> the message will be sent in the clear.
>
> The message will be encrypted once with a symmetric cipher and
> session key. Then the session key is encrypted to each recipient's
> public key and the encrypted session keys are attached to the
> message.
>
> For each recipient the first valid key with matching email address is
> the one selected. If this is not the preferred key, then Enigmail's
> Per-recipient rules may be setup to specify the correct key to use.

How does Thunderbird/Enigmail handle bcc'd recipients? Does it create
several differently encrypted copies of the message in case of bcc'd
recipients, i.e. one copy of the message encrypted with the keys of all
public recipients and additional copies of the message (one per bcc'd
recipient) encrypted only with the key of the corresponding bcc
recipient (and probably with the sender's key)?

Regards,
Ingo