Looking for a good port80 static-DNS keyserver

Brian Mearns bmearns at ieee.org
Wed Apr 29 17:37:18 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM, John Clizbe <John at mozilla-enigmail.org> wrote:
> Brian Mearns wrote:
>> So I've been "advertising" keys.gnupg.net as the place to get my key
>> for a while now, but the round-robin DNS is kind of bugging me. I
>> understand the purpose of it, but it's kind of a crap shoot: not
>> infrequently, the address maps to a server that's down or buggy. I'd
>> rather have one dedicated address for an sks I can use and refer
>> others to, preferably one that's available on port 80. Any
>> suggestions?
>
> Curious which ones are showing up as "buggy"? There's a flaw in one
> specific search case with SKS 1.0.10. 1.1.x is safe as is 1.0.9
>
> See http://www.pramberger.at/peter/services/keyserver/network/
>
> EKP is an email protocol
>
> also http://sks-keyservers.net/status/ from where
> hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net is constructed
>
> I use (operate) the one in the sig block below
> --
> John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
> You can't spell fiasco without SCO. hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or
>     mailto:pgp-public-keys at gingerbear.net?subject=HELP
>
> Q:"Just how do the residents of Haiku, Hawai'i hold conversations?"
> A:"An odd melody / island voices on the winds / surplus of vowels"

Thanks, John. I was unaware of the status page, I think that will be
helpful. I'm not sure offhand which servers have been "buggy", but I
believe I've connected to http://keys.gnupg.net/ in the past and been
presented with a blank page, for instance.

Is it considered impolite to advertise one specific keyserver (like
gingerbear, for instance) in my sig?

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net