Looking for a good port80 static-DNS keyserver

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Wed Apr 29 18:10:25 CEST 2009

Brian Mearns wrote:

> Thanks, John. I was unaware of the status page, I think that will be
> helpful. I'm not sure offhand which servers have been "buggy", but I
> believe I've connected to http://keys.gnupg.net/ in the past and been
> presented with a blank page, for instance.

Not all servers provide a web page, even if they listen on that port

Keyserver ops ({hkp,http}://<server>/pks/...) should work fine

> Is it considered impolite to advertise one specific keyserver (like
> gingerbear, for instance) in my sig?

No, but replying to a direct message sent only to you via the mailing
list would be. ;-)

BTW, keyserver.gingerbear.net is a "mostly static" IP address. I never
know when Time-Warner will flip me into another net block. But it's
usually detected and DNS updated fairly soon after.

pool.sks-keyservers.net is what "I" prefer users advertise.

Once a key (or a key mod) is on one SKS server, it's spread to the rest
within a few minutes

You may also set preferred keyserver URL on your key. Details in the man
page.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or