pool.sks-keyservers.net connection error

Jeroen Schot schot at A-Eskwadraat.nl
Wed Aug 12 11:25:36 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:33:43AM -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> On 08/11/09 12:04, quoth Jason Locklin:
> > I would avoid OpenDNS as they break a lot of stuff. If your ISP DNS servers
> > are down, I would suggest emailing them.
> >
> I'm sorry but I switched from my ISP's DNS as my resolver to OpenDNS and life
> has generally been better ever since. I found that a major performance issue
> for lots of people is that the resolver provided by the ISP is frequently
> very slow. I'd like to know more specifics on "they break lots of stuff".
>
> I'm completely stumped as to what you might have to offer but if there's
> something I should know I really want to hear it.

The main problem is that they redirect queries for non-existent domains instead
of returning NXDOMAIN. (Although you can turn this 'feature' off I think.)

See also the Wikipedia page on OpenDNS:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS#Privacy_issues.2C_conflicts_and_covert_redirection>

Regards,
--