2 local user-ids, 2 distinct key pairs but only 1 user-id can sign.

M.B.Jr. marcio.barbado at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 19:50:16 CEST 2009

Hi list,
this is my first message here.

Firstly, thank you Werner Koch and collaborators for such a superb software.

More than an enthusiast on cryptography, I am a Brazilian citizen,
concerned with the privacy and authenticity "components" involved in
information exchange transactions (not only in digital format).
Mainly, I'm concerned with the proper degree into which privacy and
authenticity can contribute to a fair relationship between society and
government.

Digressions left aside, I've been using GnuPG for a while both in
Linux distros and in Windows XP, without facing big issues. Until now.
Let me depict the situation.

OS: Windows XP Home SP3.
GnuPG version: 1.4.7

I have already generated a GnuPG key pair with ELG-E and DSA and
everything was working fine.
I was able then to sign files, simply with (e.g.):

(1) gpg --clearsign "myfile.txt"

by the time I generated a second key pair (again with ELG-E and DSA)
to a new, distinct "user-id", this problem took place.

Now, I want to sign some stuff with the new local user id's private
key, and I try the command (e.g.):

(2) gpg --local-user "[NEW_ID_NAME]" --clearsign "somefile.txt"

and it prompts me NOT for a passphrase, nor does it even create an
empty "asc" file.
Instead, it only returns the message:

usage: gpg [options] [filename]

So far, I can only sign files with (1), using the first private key my
GnuPG installation generated, which represents sort of a
default-and-only usable "user-id".

Is it expected? Am I missing something? Is it possible to sign files
with my second "user-id"?

Regards,

--
Marcio Barbado, Jr.