openPGP card, cant change admin pin

Malte Gell malte.gell at gmx.de
Sat Feb 7 21:50:20 CET 2009

Hi there,

i wanted to change the pins of my new card and invoked gpg --change-pin I was
able to select point one, was asked for the old pin and entered the new one
and affirmed. Then I chose point three "change Admin PIN", but gpg said "no
permission"!? How can I now change the admin pin and why did gpg not allow to
change it?

By the way, does gpg explicitly say when it needs the "normal" pin and the
admin pin? Does th card become useless after three times wrong pin?

Malte