Paperkey question

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Feb 8 21:30:25 CET 2009

On Sunday 08 February 2009, Alex Amiryan wrote:
> Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Sunday 08 February 2009, Alex Amiryan wrote:
> >> I've printed out my paperkey and keeping it in my home. I am not
> >> making any illegal things, so police will not come to investigate
> >> my house one day :).
> >
> > You are using GnuPG. Unfortunately, this makes you suspicious in
> > the eyes of lots of people.
>
> No, I don't agree with that.

That's irrelevant. It doesn't matter what _you_ think. What matters is
what police and intelligence agencies think about you using GnuPG. I'm
probably exaggerating. OTOH, intelligence agencies are convinced (or at
least they "say" so) that terrorists use encryption.

> For example I am using GnuPG to send
> sensitive information, such as monthly invoices to tax service. I
> don't want somebody to intercept these documents, thats why I am
> using GnuPG. Using GnuPG is not meaning that I am hiding illegal
> things. Just I am using my right of privacy.

I guess the same is true for all members of this mailing list.

> For example if I am
> saying something quietly to my friend, it is not meaning that I am
> saying bad things about somebody.

But you might give the impression of saying bad things about somebody.

> >> So it is secure for me in case that one day my home
> >> and work computers explode at the same time :)
> >
> > But it's gone if your home and your work place explode at the same
> > time.
>
> I wrote, if my home and work COMPUTERS explode at the same time. For
> example because of electric shock (It happened to me twice in my life
> :)).

Yes, I know what you wrote. I just wanted to point out that it might
make sense to store a copy of your paperkey outside of your home and
work place.

Regards,
Ingo