enigmail and gnupg on linux xandros

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Mon Feb 9 09:15:13 CET 2009

Robert J. Hansen wrote the following on 2/9/09 1:07 AM:
> Condor Kim wrote:
>> e:icedove: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>> e: enigmail: dependency problem -- leaving unconfigured
>> e: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure - a' to
>> correct the problem
>
> This is an Icedove and/or Xandros error.  It is not an Enigmail error.
> For that reason, we're not able to help you out very much with it.  We
> wish you luck with the reinstallation.  A lot of people report excellent
> success installing plain-vanilla Ubuntu on netbooks; it might be worth a
> shot as opposed to the highly customized Xandros you're currently running

I can "bear testimony" to running Ubuntu 8.10-64bits under VMware
Fusion, on an Apple MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo.
> .
>> and what about gnupg itself? i saw in the synaptic that it's already
>> installed. can it be used with thunderbird? how to use it on linux?

The original distro (downloaded disk image) came with gpg 1.4.7 or 1.4.8
(I can't remember) which I updated to 1.4.9 by compiling the source
code. I also compiled gpg 2.0.10rc1 and later 2.0.10 (with gpg-agent and
pinentry). All run fine.

GnuPG, whether gpg or gpg2 interacts very well with
Thunderbird+Enigmail, thanks to the work of the Enigmail team. I have
found that it is easier to install Thunderbird using Ubuntuzilla
<http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Internet/HTTP-WWW-/Ubuntuzilla-30545.shtml>,
but it's all a matter of user's choice.

> We recommend reading the Enigmail Quick Start Guide.

Definitely.

Charly