How to use the Apple Product Security PGP Key + Protecting Security Information ~~ F.Y.I.

gerry_lowry (alliston ontario canada) gerry.lowry at abilitybusinesscomputerservices.com
Mon Feb 23 16:49:18 CET 2009

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1620
How to use the Apple Product Security PGP Key

http://www.apple.com/support/security/pgp/
Protecting Security Information

F.Y.I.:  I've not noticed anything similar from Microsoft and other software companies.

Most seem to be happy with MD5 and SHA1 for files and nothing else.

Also, Apple even provides links to PGP Corporation and GnuPG plus its key and key ID.

       This is our PGP key which is valid until May 15, 2010
       Key ID: 0x8A648901 Key Type: RSA Expires: 5/15/10 Key Size: 2048/2048
       Fingerprint: 39EC C76A 3D62 7062 C321 10B2 7928 75E8 8A64 8901
       UserID: Apple Product Security

This from Apple is like an endorsement of PGP/GPG technology.

So few people use PGP/GPG technology openly.

The Internet took off when Microsoft, for better or worse, included and promoted
Internet Explorer in Windows 95, thus beginning the so called browser wars.

I would be surprised and also happy to see Microsoft promote PGP/GPG technology.
I do not actually expect that to happen.  If it did, it would be good if Microsoft could
stimulate PGP/GPG technology with more user friendliness since at the moment
there's much to learn to understand and begin using PGP/GPG technology.

Regards,
Gerry (Lowry)