How to use the Apple Product Security PGP Key + Protecting Security Information ~~ F.Y.I.

Joseph Oreste Bruni jbruni at me.com
Mon Feb 23 17:09:41 CET 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 8:49 AM, gerry_lowry (alliston ontario canada)
wrote:

> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1620
> How to use the Apple Product Security PGP Key
>
> http://www.apple.com/support/security/pgp/
> Protecting Security Information
>
> F.Y.I.:  I've not noticed anything similar from Microsoft and other
> software companies.
>
> Most seem to be happy with MD5 and SHA1 for files and nothing else.
>
> Also, Apple even provides links to PGP Corporation and GnuPG plus
> its key and key ID.
>
>       This is our PGP key which is valid until May 15, 2010
>       Key ID: 0x8A648901 Key Type: RSA Expires: 5/15/10 Key Size:
> 2048/2048
>       Fingerprint: 39EC C76A 3D62 7062 C321 10B2 7928 75E8 8A64 8901
>       UserID: Apple Product Security
>
> This from Apple is like an endorsement of PGP/GPG technology.

One of the bugs I filed with Apple is how their Product Security group
uses PGP signatures for the advisories, but their own Mail application
only supports S/MIME and certificates. This is fine, but I'd like to
see them be a bit consistent.