future proof file encryption

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Feb 28 02:37:53 CET 2009

(Replying to David, but it's really for Joseph)

David Shaw wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2009, at 6:25 PM, Joseph Oreste Bruni wrote:
>
>> Since we're talking about photos, what would be wrong with PRINTING
>> them? I think a printed photo would last a lot longer than any
>> computer-based technology. And, you could store them in shoeboxes.

Depends a lot on the paper and dye you use.  Most consumer-grade inkjet
prints will begin fading after only a few years.  Even if they don't,
they react with the atmosphere and their color palette changes.

If you've ever seen an old Polaroid that makes you think the 1970s were
an era of muddy-looking colors, well -- that's what's happened to it.
The original photo was vibrant, but light and atmospheric oxygen has
changed it.

For long-term photographic storage, make a print from photographic film
on archival-quality print stock.  Also, I'm given to understand that
black and white photographs survive the aging process much better than
color.