future proof file encryption

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Feb 28 07:40:29 CET 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 8:37 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> For long-term photographic storage, make a print from photographic
> film
> on archival-quality print stock.  Also, I'm given to understand that
> black and white photographs survive the aging process much better than
> color.

It's because black and white photographs and negatives contain actual
silver (another reason why old films are lost - they were melted down
for their silver content to make more film).  Color photographs and
negatives contain inks and dyes which can be very long lasting, but
still don't have the longevity and environmental resistance of the
silver.  For very long term storage, store it in the cold and in the
dark.  Don't display your only copy on the wall, or at least pay the
extra bit for UV blocking glass.  Really, though, if you have color
film you want to preserve "indefinitely", scan the negative to digital
and keep both the original negative in dark storage *and* the digital
copy (remastering it as needed).

If your color photos were shot on Kodachrome, incidentally, you're in
luck.  It has dark-storage capabilities that are vastly better than
any color negative film.

Drifting a bit from crypto here, I'm afraid.  We should wind this
subthread up.

David