installing gpg on Mandriva 2009

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jan 3 21:08:56 CET 2009

On Saturday 03 January 2009, Chris wrote:

> > > Please don't do anything as root. It is totally unnecessary, very
> > > dangerous and will only lead to confusion.
> >
> > I only 'tried' it as root since you had entered #gpg-agent --daemon
> > which on my box is the root login. I stopped the root process and
> > started it as 'chris' where it is running now.

Okay.

> > > You started gpg-agent as chris and kmail as root? This cannot
> > > work. See what I meant above with "It [...] will only lead to
> > > confusion."?
> >
> > Again, I just did a quick check while gpg-agent was running as root
> > to see if kmail started as root would pickup the key. Kmail and
> > gpg-agent are running as 'chris' and neither are running as root.
> >
> > > What happens if you do the following as 'chris' (e.g. in
> > > Konsole)? [chris at localhost ~]$ killall gpg-agent
> > > [chris at localhost ~]$ killall kmail
> > > [chris at localhost ~]$ eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
> > > [chris at localhost ~]$ kmail
> >
> > [chris at localhost ~]$ killall gpg-agent
> > [chris at localhost ~]$ killall kmail
> > [chris at localhost ~]$ eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
> > can't connect to `/home/chris/.gnupg/log-socket': No such file or
> > directory
> > [chris at localhost ~]$ kmail
> >
> > Apologies for the confusion
> >
> > Chris
>
> One other note, after logging out and back in again to the system a
> warning that gpg-agent is not running is displayed however looking at
> running processes shows that it is under 'chris'.

The warning is a bit misleading. It should read "gpg-agent cannot be
connected to" or similar. In order to connect to gpg-agent the
application needs to know the "channel" to use for talking to
gpg-agent. This "channel" (a Unix socket) is announced with the
environment variable $GPG_AGENT_INFO. Therefore only applications
running in the same environment as gpg-agent can talk to gpg-agent.

Did you add the file start-gpg-agent.sh to ~/.kde/env (or ~/.kde4/env or
whatever folder is used for KDE 4 by Mandriva 2009)? As I wrote in my
first reply this will ensure that gpg-agent is started whenever KDE is
started, i.e. whenever you log in. Moreover, it ensures that all
applications started from KDE are running in the same environment as
gpg-agent and thus should be able to talk to gpg-agent.

Regards,
Ingo