Selection of digest algorithm

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Jan 29 00:44:00 CET 2009

Sven Radde wrote:
> First, when sending a signed email from Evolution, SHA1 seems to be
> chosen, no matter what "personal-digest-preferences" or even
> "digest-algo" is set in the gpg.conf file (other parts of gpg.conf are
> honored, however).
> Is this a limitation of the PGP/MIME standard that Evolution uses?

Evolution's GnuPG support is in many ways broken, FYI.  I have
repeatedly had troubles with it misreporting inline signed messages as
having bad signatures, misreporting inline signed and encrypted messages
as being only encrypted, as misreporting trust levels, as... etc., etc.

Evolution's core developers seem to believe RFC3156 is the be-all and
end-all of OpenPGP support, and even then, it's a somewhat idiosyncratic
3156, if I recall correctly.

> Second, when using the smartcard, and "personal-digest-preferences
> SHA256 RIPEMD160", the latter is chosen as digest algorithm.
> Is the smartcard limited to 160 Bit hashes?

What sort of smartcard are you using, and what does it support as far as
hash algorithms?