gpg doesn't fail on target file existing when decrypting

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Thu Mar 12 17:18:34 CET 2009

Andrew Flerchinger icrf.ml at gmail.com
wrote on Wed Mar 11 21:15:20 CET 2009 :

> My problem is when I don't tell it to overwrite
> and the target exists, it looks like it
> properly decrypted the file,
> except it does nothing

>I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong,

no, you're doing everything correctly

>it's a bug,

no,
it's just not telling you that it overwrote it

to test this,

save "test.txt" as "originaltest.txt"

change the text of "test.txt" after you encrypted it, and save it
as "test.text"
and also as "changedtest.ext"

now use your commands to decrypt

you will see that when you now open "test.txt"
it will be the same as your original (i.e. "originaltest.txt")

if gnupg 'did nothing'
it would be the same as "changedtest.txt"

vedaal

any ads or links below this message are added by hushmail without
my endorsement or awareness of the nature of the link

--
Click for quality replacement window deals and save!
 http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/BLSrjkqfaqWn87hYaT2noI7UHq15QMdzE7mClayZwCCoOuxIoFTX3NsWTEM/