gpg doesn't fail on target file existing when decrypting

Andrew Flerchinger icrf.ml at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 14:10:31 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM, <vedaal at hush.com> wrote:

> Andrew Flerchinger icrf.ml at gmail.com
> wrote on Wed Mar 11 21:15:20 CET 2009 :
>
> > My problem is when I don't tell it to overwrite
> > and the target exists, it looks like it
> > properly decrypted the file,
> > except it does nothing
>
> >I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong,
>
> no, you're doing everything correctly
>
> >it's a bug,
>
> no,
> it's just not telling you that it overwrote it
>

> to test this,
>
> save "test.txt" as "originaltest.txt"
>
> change the text of "test.txt" after you encrypted it, and save it
> as "test.text"
> and also as "changedtest.ext"
>
> now use your commands to decrypt
>
> you will see that when you now open "test.txt"
> it will be the same as your original (i.e. "originaltest.txt")
>
> if gnupg 'did nothing'
> it would be the same as "changedtest.txt"
>

> vedaal

But it is. If I pass in --yes, it does indeed overwrite as I'd expect. If I
don't, it does NOT overwrite the file. The data in the file stays the same
and the altered date on the file does not change. It doesn't overwrite,
which is as expected, it's just not telling me there was a problem with
decryption like it does when I'm encrypting something.
Are you seeing that behavior? GPG is always overwriting on decryption, even
without --yes?

Thanks for the reply (and sorry, vedaal, if you got this twice, my first
didn't include the mailing list).
Andrew