problems with PGP/MIME

webmaster at felipe1982.com webmaster at felipe1982.com
Sat May 16 02:34:19 CEST 2009

I will do my best to describe as succinctly and clearly as possible. To
begin, I use openSUSE, openoffice for documents, and [usually] kmail for
email. I created a document in OOo and clicked on the 'email' button to
send it to my "other" email address xx at student.qut.edu.au [backup]. I sent
the file signed and encrypted. The other address has only a web interface,
and as such, has no support for PGP/MIME. As expected, I see two
attachments, application/pgp-encrypted "VERSION 1" file, and
application/octet-stream (my encrypted .odt file). It isn't actually
binary, it appeares in ASCII when downloaded and opened in text editor. I
ran it through Kgpg, and also separately through gpg command line, and was
disappointed that I did not recover my original .odt file.

The top portion contains email header information stuff (stuff I don't
want, or care to understand). There is a signature at the very bottom, but
verification fails (it is *my*own* pub/priv key pair). In the middle,
above the signature, and below the email header stuff, there is an
ascii-armoured portion of data. I have not yet attempted to select it all,
copy, paste, decrypt, because I thought to myself, "there must be a better
(read: easier) way to do this..." So, is there?

I forwarded the message back to my xx at felipe1982.com address, and viewed
it in kmail (which as you all know, supports cool things like pgp/mime).
But it (after submitting my passphrase) will not decrypt!

Is this the normal behaviour of pgp/mime. I did read a little (albeit
quickly and not in detail) of rfc3156 (is this the most recent?).

Any ideas, suggestions, comments appreciated. Thanks.

Felipe