gpg: key generation failed: Card error

markus reichelt ml at mareichelt.de
Wed Nov 18 20:32:36 CET 2009

Hi,

I cannot create keys on my shiny new v2 smartcard. Personalizing the
card works just fine, as does changing PINs.

But when I want to generate new keys I always get this error message
(after gpg asked about how long the key shall be valid):

gpg: key generation failed: Card error
Key generation failed: Card error

That's on a stock Slackware 13 system, gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.12, libgcrypt
1.4.4 with OMNIKEY CardMan 4040 v1.1.0gm5.

Any hints?

--
left blank, right bald