encrypting compression algorithms

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Sep 5 18:11:18 CEST 2009

On Sep 4, 2009, at 12:53 PM, M.B.Jr. wrote:

> when symmetrically encrypting a file, e.g.:
>
> $ gpg --output file.ods.gpg --symmetric file.ods
>
> the command above generates a "gpg" extension encrypted AND compressed
> file, is that correct?

Unless you've disabled compression in your gpg.conf file, yes, it is
both encrypted and compressed.

> How do I know which compression algorithm was used?

Unless you've overridden the default, it is ZIP.

> How can I force any other available algorithm?

personal-compress-preferences (algo)

And (algo) can be "uncompressed", "zip", "zlib", or "bzip2".  Note
that bzip2 is only available if your GPG was built with the bzip2
library.

David