Entropy sources for rngd

Brian Mearns bmearns at ieee.org
Wed Sep 23 04:29:07 CEST 2009

Sorry, I know this is only somewhat on topic: if someone can suggest
an appropriate mailing-list or news group, that'd be great.

I want to use rngd to increase my entropy pool for use with GnuPG, but
I don't have a hardware random device. I've seen a lot of references
to using /dev/urandom as the input source for rngd, which claim that
rngd's randomness test is sufficient for ensuring that the entropy
pool remains random. But there's something that really doesn't sit
well about that for me. Can anyone offer informed insight on this?

Thanks,
-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net