Elliptic curves in gnupg status?

Christoph Anton Mitterer christoph.anton.mitterer at physik.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Apr 26 12:18:26 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 08:57 +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> Actually the working group informally agreed on this draft after we
> changed a few US centric things.
Nice to read. I was just about to reply, that it might make sense to
start implementation in gpg even if standardisation has not yet fully
finished.
Implementation probably takes quite some time and effort, and in the end
phase of standardisation processes there's usually not that much what
changes.
And I guess, the earlier ECC is available in gpg, the better.

> My idea of implementing ECC
> is to first work on the signing part (ECDSA)
Sounds reasonable, especially as people can already start to "collect"
signatures then...

What rough timescale do you expect to have ECC productively available in
gpg? I mean including security audits, well done tests etc.?

Cheers,
Chris.