setuping local/standalone sks keyserver

John Clizbe John at Mozilla-Enigmail.org
Tue Aug 3 22:43:42 CEST 2010

Prasanth Thandra wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:50:53PM +0530, Prasanth Thandra wrote:

I already replied this on July 21, but it would appear it never reached you so
allow me to quote myself in these two top sections (>+)

* A quick google, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sks-1.1.1+rpm  returned, near the top,
www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/12/.../sks-1.1.1-2.fc12.i686.html

> HI,
>
> First i want to thanks Mr. *Peter Pentchev for his first inputs.*
>
> *i am trying to configure a local sks keyserver on RHEL4.
>
> *i downloded sks-1.1.1, ocaml-3.11.2 and Berkely DB db-4.6.21
>
> *i installed the prerequisites **caml-3.11.2 and Berkely DB db-4.6.21 as
> said in README of sks-1.1.1**

It would appear that you stopped reading the README after that section on
installing ocaml. Please read the the full README and continue with the next two
sections (at a minimum):

    * Copy Makefile.local.unused to Makefile.local, and edit to match your
      installation.

    * Compile

        make dep
        make all
        make all.bc  # if you want the bytecode versions
        make install # puts executables in $PREFIX/bin, as defined
                     # in Makefile.local

> *then i *
> *#CD /../../sks-1.1.1

Typically, it's a directory under /var, /var/sks or /var/lib/sks

> *#mkdir dump

Did you put any keyring files in dump? You mention you wish to run this as a
standalone keyserver, that would imply that you have your own keyrings you wish
to serve.

If you wish to serve the main key database that the online SKS network uses, you
need to download it into the dump directory, presently ~4GB.

Note: that also makes the idea of a standalone server questionable as it will
soon become out of sync with the keys on the public servers.

> *#sks_build.sh
>
> === Running fastbuild... ===
> ./sks_build.sh: line 11: sks: command not found
> Command failed unexpectedly. Bailing out

1) You need to build the source and install the executables
2) IMO, edit sks_build.sh and replace fastbuild with build

> *please help me in resolving the issue.

To repeat myself:

    The nominal place for SKS support is the sks-devel list at
    sks-devel at nongnu.org (http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel )

Help _IS_ available. You are asking in the wrong place. The is a fair amount of
work involved in setting up SKS -- a full discussion of which is NOT appropriate
to this list.

Subscribe and ask on SKS-Devel.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John (a) Gingerbear DAWT net
FSF Assoc #995 / FSFE Fellow #1797  hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or