Message was not integrity protected.

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Aug 6 19:57:33 CEST 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 1:42 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> On 8/6/2010 1:26 PM, Wolff, Alex wrote:
>> A vendor encrypts data with our public key.  We receive the file and we
>> attempt to decrypt it.  Although the file does get decrypted we receive
>> the warning below.  How do we avoid the warning..we think it is messing
>> up our automated integration software we use to encrypt/exchange/decrypt
>> files.
>
> The Right Thing is, of course, to fix your script -- but until you can
> get that done, --disable-mdc should suppress that warning message.  (I
> think.  It's been a few years since I've needed to do this.)

That's the command to disable the MDC on the sending side.  In this case, the sender is already not using a MDC.  If you want to disable the warning for a missing MDC on the recipient side, use --no-mdc-warning.

The Right Thing to do is to ask the sender to start using a MDC.  If that isn't possible, then --no-mdc-warning will make the warning on the recipient side go away.

David