Change encryption on the secret key

Joseph Isadore Ziff sindegra at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 02:38:52 CEST 2010

Dear Fellow Gnupg users,

I recently grew more knowlegeable about of the different ciphers and compression methods. I already generated my secret key but would like to change the symmetric encryption protecting the secret key. I put the following in my gpg.conf:

s2k-cipher-algo AES256

and then I updated my password with gpg --edit-key, passwd. Is that enough to update the cipher on my private key? If not, what should I be doing? Is there also a way to detect the encryption algorithm on a file? Any help with these questions is appreciated.

Sincerely,
--
Joseph Isadore Ziff <sindegra at gmail.com>

Verify the GPG signatures I make with pgp/gpg software: http://www.gnupg.org/. Encryption is free. Take the matter of privacy in your own hands. (Contact me if you are interested or need any help.)