gnuPGP Setup

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Aug 20 15:20:03 CEST 2010

On 8/20/2010 9:09 AM, Simon Richter wrote:
>> After the recipient has loaded the programe he generates a personal key but
>> does he do as I have done and copy out his public key in a wordfile and send
>> it to me?
>
> Essentially, yes.

One detail that Simon omitted: do not copy public keys into Word files.
 It must be transmitted as-is, without any of the data mangling that
Word does behind-the-scenes.

Alternately (and IMO, preferably), use the keyserver network.

gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --send-key 12345678

Then, a few hours later, the correspondent can use recv-key to get the key:

gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-key 12345678