encrypted message has been manipulated!

kardan kardan at brueckenschlaeger.de
Sat Aug 21 07:13:42 CEST 2010

Greetings,

I backed some folders with tar in combination with gnupg, file sizes
differ from 100..400mb.
Now when I needed some of the files back for nearly every archive I get:

gpg: WARNING: encrypted message has been manipulated!

I tried to unpack the resulting archives with

$ for file in *.tar.gz ; do tar -xz --ignore-failed-read
--ignore-command-error -f $file ; done

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
tar: Skipping to next header

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

So, as gpg decrypts a damaged gzip file I assume there is no way
restore a bit more than the slices so far.

My research so far brought only topics related to the fat 4gb problem,
wrong mail client wrapping and just one case of a damaged 420GB
tgz-archive. This leads to my conclusion that my disk is
exceptionally damaged.

kardan

> tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.22