Modified user ids and key servers and a possible security risk?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Aug 25 19:27:18 CEST 2010

On 08/25/2010 01:11 PM, Gregor Zattler wrote:
> Doesn't this open a denial of service attack vector on OpenPGPs
> PKI infrastructure?  I could binary edit your key, the key server
> adds its.

You could also create bogus signatures that claim to be from
non-existent keys and upload them to the keyserver.

> Your correspondent is then not able any more to import
> your key from the server...

my key would still be fetchable from the keyserver, but the bogus user
IDs wouldn't get imported.  The non-bogus material would be accepted by
the client, though.  One busted component doesn't invalidate the entire
certificate.

	--dkg