Best Practices

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sun Dec 12 21:03:42 CET 2010

On 12/12/2010 11:21 AM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 12/12/2010 10:23 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> What part of OpenPGP certificates require SHA-1?
>
> ... At first blush, V4 certificate checksums,

what do you mean by "V4 certificate checksums"?

> symmetrically encrypted
> integrity protected data packets, the MDC system in general

These are not part of the OpenPGP certificate format.

> certificate fingerprints, etc.

yeah, this is serious, but it's not embedded in the certificate.  if we
were to come up with a new fingerprint format, it would not invalidate
any existing certificates -- it would just change how we refer to them.

> Probably the most annoying -- to me, at least -- is the fingerprint
> requirement.  If a preimage collision is discovered in SHA-1 then it's
> all over.  I can take your signature on my enemy's key, graft it onto my
> own impersonator of my enemy's key, and then get others to believe it.

agreed.  but this is not part of the certificate format.

	--dkg