key generation: email-address necessary?

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Sat Feb 27 18:38:25 CET 2010

On 2/27/2010 5:50 AM, Martin Bretschneider wrote:

> that was my expectation as well. But what do the email clients do then?
> Do they say "no key available" or do the look for the name? What are
> your experiences?
>
> TIA  Martin

Enigmail will lookup the key by key ID (0xDEADBEEF) when you tell it to
retrieve the public key.  So that will work.  When you send someone an
encrypted email and it doesn't match an email address from the key-ring,
it will prompt you to select which key you want to use for that user for
encryption.  Pretty painless.

Not sure what other clients do.