key generation: email-address necessary?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Feb 27 19:20:33 CET 2010

On Saturday 27 February 2010, Martin Bretschneider wrote:
> Am Samstag 27 Februar 2010 schrieb Laurent Jumet:
>
> Hi Laurent,

> > > I want to recreate my GnuPG keys. My question is if I can omit
> > > the email address? Since I do not want my email addresses to
> > > appear on the keyservers because of spammers and so on. I only
> > > want to put my name and maybe my toplevel domain in the comment
> > > field.
> > > Is the some kind of problem with this behavoir? Can email clients
> > > find out what key to use if there is no known email address?
> > > What do you think?
> > >
> >     You can use whatever you want to identify your key.
> >     But in some cases, mail programs expect to find your e-mail.
>
> that was my expectation as well. But what do the email clients do
> then? Do they say "no key available" or do the look for the name?
> What are your experiences?

When you want to send an encrypted messages with KMail/Kontact then
KMail/Kontact first checks whether there is a key specified in the
address book. If the address book entry does not specify a key then
KMail/Kontact tries to look up the keys based on the email addresses. If
it does not find keys for all recipients then it shows a dialog were you
can specify which keys to use.

Regards,
Ingo