Web of Trust itself is the problem

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Jan 11 04:52:07 CET 2010

On Jan 10, 2010, at 10:24 PM, RobertHoltzman wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 02:24:22PM -0600, Mario Castel�n Castro
> wrote:
>>
>> Is not neseesary to comprehend cryptography to use it.  In fact, the
>> pknowledge of the use of one thing and the knowledge to use it are
>> independient. I.e: don't know how to ride a bicicle, but I know how
>> they work
>
> Try telling this to a noob who is:
> a) convinced that only a nefarious low life has a use for encryption
> b) afraid of and distrusts computers
> c) convinced he/she is right and logic won't sway him/her.

While I do believe that there are a number of people in each of those
categories (or combinations thereof), I strongly suspect that the
largest category is:

d) those people who are completely unaware of crypo: unaware that they
might actually want it on occasion, and unaware that they don't have it.

It's not that they gave it a bit of thought and decided against it for
whatever reason - they never gave it even a moment of thought.  The
only crypto they use is the crypto that is invisible to them (usually
https, which is pretty invisible).

David