Web of Trust itself is the problem

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Jan 11 05:10:05 CET 2010

On Jan 10, 2010, at 11:01 PM, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:

>> The only crypto they use is the crypto that is invisible to them
>> (usually https, which is pretty invisible).
>
> HTTPS is not invisible, is transparent with most browers.  Invisible
> is as example, the logs that your ISP, mine or google (likley) have of
> all our mail, because you don't see it, you even don't know if they
> really have such logs.

We can argue the definition of "invisible" vs "transparent" for days
and waste everyone's time.  I use the term to mean "They don't see
https.  They don't really care about it, as evidenced by most just
hitting the "continue" button when are told about a bad certificate,
and have only the vaguest notion (if even that) that they might want
it."

David