help needed to load idea.dll in Vista32

John Clizbe John at Mozilla-Enigmail.org
Sun Jan 31 18:21:51 CET 2010

Doman Name Administrator wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to change over to Mozilla Thunderbird 3 w/OpenPGP on a 32
> bit Vista machine. The primary reason being a PGP signature we need to
> continue to use originally created in 1999.

<snip>

> Of course we have already downloaded and intalled the idea.dll made for
> Windows 32. However, there are no 'options' or gnupg config files nor
> does it have the files structure of WinXPP.

It's not all that different. C:\Documents and Settings\<username> is now
C:\User\<username>. "Application Data" is now AppData. The change is the
addition at the next level of several directories to group data: Local,
LocalLow, Roaming.

GnuPG's application directory will be in Roaming.  Running "gpg --version" at a
command line prompt should confirm that. SSHing to a Vista box, I got:

+> C:\cygwin\home\jpclizbe>"C:\Program Files\Gnu\GnuPG\gpg.exe" --version
+> "C:\Program Files\Gnu\GnuPG\gpg.exe" --version
+> gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.10
+> Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
+> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
+> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
+> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
+>
+> Home: C:/Users/jpclizbe/AppData/Roaming/gnupg

> One instruction said we should copy file idea.dll to directory
> c:\lib\gnupg and add following line to GPG options file, which there is
> not an options file nor a c:\lib\gnupg directory.

Locate GnuPG's HOME directory. The default on Vista (and I believe Windows 7)
will be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\gnupg\. Running gpg.exe with the
--version switch will confirm this - just look for the line starting Home:.

Copy/move idea.dll to there.

> I've also changed the registry:
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\GNUPG]
> OptFile=C:\\Program Files\\GNU\\GnuPG\\options

You can safely delete that addition. I don't think anything uses that registry
value any longer.

> How in the world am I supposed to get this dll loaded?

In the same directory to where you copied idea.dll, use Notepad to create a text
file named gpg.conf. Include the line

    load-extension .\idea.dll

You may include other options in gpg.conf as well, but that line is what you're
looking for. Running "gpg --version" again should show IDEA as an available
cipher algorithm.

Feel free to ask any Enigmail questions on the Enigmail list, enigmail at mozdev.org.

Good luck.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or